Monday, March 26, 2012

I See the Light at the End of the Tunnel

After my psychological evaluation, I was feeling especially antsy. I felt so stir crazy waiting around again, this time for an appointment to be set with the surgeon. I have already done so much waiting (mainly between finishing my Options classes and being scheduled with the bariatrician), and waiting some more without something on the calendar was not something I wanted to do! Yet, what other option did I have?! Dr. Murali had told me during our appointment that, after the referral is sent to the surgeon's office, I should hear from them within a week to schedule my surgeon consultation. I verified with him that he sent my referral over the same day as my psych eval, and then waited.

Last Monday I called the education department to inquire about setting the appointment. I was told my referral had been sent, and I just needed to wait. I was also informed that St. Bernadine Hospital would be the one to call me, since the surgery would be there... this didn't sound right to me. I understand the surgery will be performed there (Kaiser's new hospital is still under construction, so they're using the facilities there), but it is still Kaiser doctors, and Kaiser insurance that I'm dealing with. I called again on Wednesday, the one week mark, and was told the same information. I also asked both times if there was a number I could call myself to see if I could be scheduled now, and I was told no. I waited a couple more days, and I felt myself getting more and more anxious! I didn't want to have to wait through the weekend to have my appointment set. I spoke with someone on the Gastric Sleeve forums who is going through Kaiser and is one step ahead of me. She provided me with the number for the Kaiser Surgical Department, which is who she received a call from to schedule her surgeon consultation. I gave them a call, thinking it couldn't hurt...and it certainly didn't! I informed them I was waiting to be scheduled with the surgeon, they verified my referral was received, and then scheduled me for the first available appointment. SO glad I called! No thanks to the education department at Kaiser, no doubt. The most frustrating thing I've dealt with during this process has got to be their inconsistencies. It drives me crazy! But not too far in the future I will be on the other side!

My appointment is scheduled for May 4th, with Dr. Fedorka. I have read great reviews about him. I'm glad to have a day to count down to again, as it makes the time go by quicker. I will be writing down all questions I have for him over the next couple weeks, and calling in every day to see if I can get into a cancellation! Crossing my fingers and toes for that! This appointment is when I will be scheduled for ...*drumroll please*... SURGERY! Finally! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

0 comments: