Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Waiting Game.


It seems every step is followed by more waiting. And not the kind of waiting in which you know when the next step will be... No, the kind that really leaves you waiting, hanging on for the next piece of information that you need to move forward. 

I am now in Southern California, after deciding to just make the drive out rather than flying back and coming out later. I attended orientation on Friday, the 16th. It lasted about 2 ½ hours, and included the 3 types of surgery covered by Kaiser (Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, and the Band), overall expectations, and what is next. I didn’t really learn anything new, nothing I hadn’t read about or researched already on my own. This really was more of a mandatory step to take so that I could be scheduled for the Options classes (the 12 week classes necessary to take before surgery). 

Kaiser does seem pretty against the Lap Band, probably because they’re busy doing so many revisions after complications. If you choose to have the Lap Band done, they send you to San Diego to an outside facility, because Kaiser will not do them. As of this past August, Kaiser has begun completing the other surgeries in house, which is good. 

 After the orientation, I’m still strong on my decision to have the Gastric Sleeve done. It seems like the best option for me. If you’re not familiar with the Sleeve, here’s a link that explains more about the procedure: http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/gastric-sleeve/
 
We had to fill out a couple forms, one “indicating our preferences and availability” (HA.. see my last post if you’re not sure why I laugh at that) so that we could be scheduled for the classes. Everyone passed theirs forward (everyone being about 50-60 people), and I held onto mine until after the orientation was over. I asked the facilitator if there was anything I needed to note on my form in regards to my situation, as I have spoken with a few people and had been told about the class beginning on 09/30. She said no, as I had already mentioned it on my form. So I then placed my forms on the top of the stack. First come, first serve, right? I can play, too. :]

Back to waiting. I’m crossing my fingers and toes in hopes I will find out within the next few days that I got into the 09/30 class.

0 comments: